If you’re considering a facelift and you’re in Lakeview or surrounding communities, Dr. Adam J. Cohen would first like to clear up some of the myths about this procedure.
Five Common myths
1. There are many types of facelifts. Actually, there are only two. The first reestablishes the planes of the mid- and lower face and neck, while the second tightens the neck and jawline and is more typical for younger patients.
2. Skin on the face is tightened. Today’s facelifts address the deeper levels of the face. Cheeks are lifted, the neck angle is tightened, along with a tightening of the jowls and jawline. The facial skin is then re-draped without tension.
3. Facelifts are just for older people. In reality, when done earlier, the surgery is less involved, recovery is quicker and the results are natural-looking and long-lasting.
4. A facelift has to be redone about every five years. When the deep structures of your face are repositioned, with proper care a facelift can last 15 years or more.
5. Having a facelift does nothing for your overall health. The truth is the psychological benefits of a facelift tend to improve your health, and one Mayo Clinic study found that women who’ve had facelifts tend to live about 10 years longer than women who’ve not had one.
Things to consider
If you’re self-conscious about sagging skin on your face and neck, believe your face makes you look older than you feel or think your appearance negatively affects your career or personal life, you may want to consider a facelift.
To find out more about a facelift and other cosmetic procedures, call Eyelid and Facial Plastic Surgery & Medspa today at 847-834-0390 to arrange your appointment.